Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Guns. Again. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Republicans will ban books, but not AR-15s, as well as arm teachers for whom they think are "indoctrinating" kids by teaching "critical race theory" (a.k.a. real history).  They're so effed up...

Kevin, you do know many Republicans support gun reform and many Democrats support not changing gun laws.   Gun ownership isn't solely a political issue.  It's a class/social issue.  It's a race issue.  there's a whole lot to unpack.

Conservatives typically don't run an election campaign on an anti-gun platform because, yes, there are a larger number of pro-gun voters on the right.  That does not mean ALL conservatives support insane gun laws.

But it's so disgustingly ignorant to talk about "Republicans" and "Democrats" like they're different species.  Where do "Independents" fall in your bigotry?   Do "Republicans" only get to sit at the counter...?

You do know it's okay to have different opinions on things, right?  Someone is not less of a person because they think small businesses should be shuttered in place of big government and social programs.  Not wanting prayer in schools doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you have a different belief structure than someone else.

I think this gun debate will show more progress if the red and blue lines weren't drawn so thick and bold.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
Kevin, you do know many Republicans support gun reform and many Democrats support not changing gun laws.   Gun ownership isn't solely a political issue.  It's a class/social issue.  It's a race issue.  there's a whole lot to unpack.

Maybe not assume Kevin is a moron and understands that not all members of party are a monolith. Can Americans discuss overall party trends and the direction the party leadership is going in general without people chiming in with NotAllMen-style arguments?

QUOTE:
Conservatives typically don't run an election campaign on an anti-gun platform because, yes, there are a larger number of pro-gun voters on the right.  That does not mean ALL conservatives support insane gun laws.

What a fluffy strawman!

QUOTE:
But it's so disgustingly ignorant to talk about "Republicans" and "Democrats" like they're different species.  Where do "Independents" fall in your bigotry?   Do "Republicans" only get to sit at the counter...?

I blame the bigotry on violent video games.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think this gun debate will show more progress if the red and blue lines
weren't drawn so thick and bold.

When the leader of one of the lines constantly refers to issues as “us vs
them” and he has blind followers that treat each word as gospel, how can
the lines be anything but “thick and bold?”

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The tragedies of these deliberate shootings overshadow the fact that almost 500 people are killed in the US every year from accidents with firearms. A mass shooting like this latest in Texas could happen every month and it would not match the slaughter brought about through these “accidental” killings.

And I put that word in quotation marks because it is really hard to claim accidents when the guns are used for their intended purpose.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Published yesterday...
"A Statistics Canada report released last week says that, since 2009, the per capita rate of firearms being pointed at someone in the commission of a crime has nearly tripled, and the rate at which guns are fired with intent to kill or wound is up fivefold."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-c anada-has-a-real-gun-violence-problem-but-its-mostly-not-the -one-the/

Published last fall...

"Criminal gun violence has risen in Canada — and by a fairly significant margin, according to Statistics Canada.

From 2009 to 2019 criminal use of firearms increased 81 per cent, the agency reported. 2019 saw a nine per cent increase over the previous year.

This includes not just discharging a firearm, but also pointing it — for example, as part of a bank robbery."

But later same article...

"But the rate of homicides with firearms has broadly held steady in recent years, according to StatsCan data.

Though the absolute number of homicides by firearm reached its highest level of the past five years in 2020 at 277, the proportion of homicides by firearm actually decreased. In 2020, 37.2 per cent of homicides involved a gun, compared with 40 per cent in 2017."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fact-check-gun-violence-1.6 166328

How you want to read the numbers maybe?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 31 May 2022 at 6:15pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes, Biden could have been realistic and said something like "I'll try to get Congress to ban assault rifles and high capacity magazines, but the Republicans will filibuster and prevent the law from being passed and nothing will happen."  But that probably wouldn't be a winning campaign strategy.  

Yes, I know how politics work.

But justifying misleading people like that like it's a *good thing*? Whole other level.

But voting for Democrats is actually the most potentially effective thing people can do at this point 

They haven't had a a chance to do something about it since '77 or something, you said so yourself. That's forty five years. And the future isn't looking precisely brighter. When does it stop making sense? Apparently never, for some types.

I'm guessing this has to do more with faith than actual possible political action. Probably some sort of self-affirmation too ("I'm one of the good guys! But those wacky Republicans never let me do anything grrr").

And when it comes to faith, obviously there's no debate possible. I don't share your faith, but I gotta respect it I guess. Get them guns.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rodrigo castellanos wrote:

I'm guessing this has to do more with faith than actual possible political action. Probably some sort of self-affirmation too ("I'm one of the good guys! But those wacky Republicans never let me do anything grrr").

And when it comes to faith, obviously there's no debate possible. I don't share your faith, but I gotta respect it I guess. Get them guns.
I admit my comment "welcome to the American political system" was needlessly condescending, and you've obviously decided you needed to respond in kind.  I'm sorry for my part in that, and I'll refrain from escalating further.

Trying to achieve reform via the ballot box has not produced results in the past 28 years, but I am unable to identify any alternative method that would be more effective.  If you want gun control laws enacted, it seems to me the only way to potentially make that happen is to vote for people who say they support gun control laws, and vote against people who oppose them.  Yes, it's not guaranteed to be effective, because it's a strategy dependent on a sufficient amount of other people voting in the same manner.  But I can think of no alternative. 

And unless I've missed it, you have not suggested one.  Earlier you made the vague statement that "The solution has to come from the people, in some way. A national non-partisan conversation on the subject."  What exactly would that entail?  Absent specifics, such a statement says little.  The only real way the people can affect what the government does is by voting, persuading others to vote, and/or persuading members of congress their future votes will be withheld if the do not act.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 01 June 2022 at 1:35am

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Maybe not assume Kevin is a moron

I'm not, Michael, thanks.

And just to point it out to the one who assumed, he should learn how to read.  I didn't say "all" Republicans.  However, it also needs to be pointed out that all 50 in the Senate will block any bill that represents any type of gun law.  Period.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And unless I've missed it, you have not suggested one.  Earlier you made the vague statement that "The solution has to come from the people, in some way. A national non-partisan conversation on the subject."  What exactly would that entail? 

I don't have the answer to that, and if I did I wouldn't share it for free in this forum. 

But I do believe in the spirit of what I said there. From the people, not the politicians. Non-partisan. 

Mainstream Democrats are lying to you. I know you don't want to believe that but most of them are equally interested in changing anything as those cartoonishly evil Republicans you love to hate.

Voting harder for them will not get any results except getting more of them employed and more of that sweet donation/lobbying money. 

Then when election time comes again they will yap about regulations and background checks and once elected they will do nothing and blame those Dick Dastardly inspired Republicans (which are mostly their friends and colleagues actually, and have much more common interests in between them than with you, the people) and their latest shenanigans like the filibuster.

Pretty much a Lucy with the football situation, with Hanna-Barbera colorful villains for added spice (and they said cartoons would rot my brain, huh this'll show them).

Call this cynicism, or having a lot of experience on Third World countries politics but I kinda recognize this when I see it. And it's the same everywhere, only out here we at least use harsher words like "corruption" instead of "lobbying" and "fraud" instead of "gerrymandering" or the such.

Voting in elections will get you nowhere on this issue. And both parties want that to stay like that. One likes to play the good guy and one enjoys (a little too much) playing the dastardly villain. 

And their voters follow their lead and also enjoy their assigned roles and nothing gets solved until the next episode/election where it all starts over again.

Of course it's *better* to vote for the good guy than Dick Dastardly I guess (probably with a lot more accountability in the mix) but remember without Dick Dastardly it would be a pretty boring show. 

And the number one rule is that the show must go on.

Hmm, I think I have thesis material here. Sorry for the rant ha, and I obviously don't mean to offend anyone. It would be funny if there weren't so, so many innocent lives on the line.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rodrigo castellanos wrote:
Mainstream Democrats are lying to you. I know you don't want to believe that but most of them are equally interested in changing anything as those cartoonishly evil Republicans you love to hate.

Well, I gave it a shot, but you've clearly become too invested in condescension at this point.  And you've successfully drawn enough incorrect inferences about my opinions to make a nice straw man argument here.

I will point out that "all politicians are evil" and "the solution must somehow come from THE PEOPLE rather than politicians" is just as simplistic and naive a take as that which you attribute to me.  I do not have any illusions that a solution to America's gun problem is forthcoming.  But any viable solution would necessarily involve laws being passed and enforced, and I'm puzzled as to how that might happen without the involvement of these evil politicians. 

Given the current political landscape, I'm not confident that voting will make much of a difference, but I am quite confident that the alternative will make even less difference.  And that there is nothing else that the average, non-wealthy American can do.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 01 June 2022 at 6:21am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The problem is that the Democrats lost their balls, and the Republicans lost their damn minds.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2022 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, I gave it a shot, but you've clearly become too invested in condescension at this point.  And you've successfully drawn enough incorrect inferences about my opinions to make a nice straw man argument here.

Not my intention, sorry if it sounded like that. I wasn't replying to you directly, more like speaking in general with some of your posts as starting points.

I know that's a very subtle distinction but I truly wasn't trying to mock you or condescend you personally. Again, sorry if it sounded like that.

I will point out that "all politicians are evil" and "the solution must somehow come from THE PEOPLE rather than politicians" is just as simplistic and naive a take as that which you attribute to me. 

Of course it's naive, I'm a hopeless romantic after all. But it's a different kind of naive than voting what the "good guys" tell you to vote, them doing nothing and then voting for them again and again.

The main argument the Dems appeal to in election time is "the other guys are way worse!". While that may be true, I find it to be a very cynical way of winning elections, which seems to be their only goal.

And solutions DO come from the people, sometimes. You just need to look at your own history. Politicians didn't give you civil rights because they were feeling generous that day, the people won them on the streets.

It may sound naive, but it has worked. A number of times.

The problem is that the Democrats lost their balls, and the Republicans lost their damn minds.

Pretty much.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version