Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The "Missing" Commissions - 09.07.06 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Laren-

My take of the Scarlet Witch/Hawkeye comission is that Scarlet Witch has just rejected Hawkeye's advances.  Call it unrequited love.

Looking at a brief history of Scarlet Witch; man, has she had the characters interested in her!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I agree, love the Witch and Hawkeye image.

Isn't Daredevil missing his billy club holder? I think that's why he doesn't look quite DD'ish to me though I still like the image.

Michael Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Daredevil is terrific, I always felt this character never really had a chance to
thrive under Mr. byrnes fingertips. (keyboard and pencil)

If anyone knows . what Hero Groups has DD officially been a member of?

I always felt DD should have always been a loner , not part of a team.

I will always be envious of a man who wakes up every morning with the
biggest concern of his day being which superheroes am I going to play with
today. Thanks JB
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Following the "if you show up for an issue, you're a member" rule of the original series, Daredevil was a member of the Defenders.  Other than that, unless you count the period where he shared his book with Black Widow in the 70s, nothing.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I assumed the Hawkeye-Scarlet Witch one was about their very brief failure to have a relationship in the Thomas/Englehart Seventies (Sixties?), just before she hooked up with the Vision.

IMP.

Edited by Ian M. Palmer on 07 September 2006 at 4:10pm

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was a period early during Steve Engelhart's run of West Coast Avengers when he planned to have Daredevil join that team.  This was at a time when he was scheduled to write Daredevil as well.  Ann Nocenti wound up writing Daredevil, though, and Engelhart scrapped his plans to bring Daredevil out to the WCA.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The wording of my commission request: 

- 11x17 with background of Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch with a hint of romance between them

After that, Jim Warden wrote back to specify what costumes I wanted them in.  With Jim's help, I decided that the costumes as they appeared in JB's West Coast Avengers run were the best way to describe what I wanted.  And I added in this little bit: 

-I'd also like the piece to convey some sense of romance between the two.  But the background/setting of the piece is up to John.

So, those were the directions.  Interesting the way JB choose to go with it, no?

On another note, Jim Warden is very nice and helpful.  My thanks to him and JB both.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Again superb images Chief. I look at the Daredevil one though and I KNOW the hand is correct but we see that angle so rarely in comics that it just looks wrong...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
"Now we'll get Scott Green in here to tell you about actually watching me work on the Scarlet Witch piece..... "

Sorry for being late to the party.

'Twas a thing of beauty to watch the Master at work!!! I was able to make the trek up to John's with Jim Warden, and as always, it was a blast! When we arrived, John had this piece on his table with just Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch finished, no backgrounds. While Jim was searching the files for various pieces of requested art and I admiring the original art on John's walls (which I never get tired of seeing!), John started adding the backgrounds to this piece. John did not do any roughs for the background in pencil, he just started inking - a little in the bottom left corner, then the top right, then back to the bottom and so on. It was simply amazing to sit back and watch John "bounce" all over the board, a rock here, a beam there, a flame over there, and see it all come together. I remember John once saying that he visualizes the piece in his head and then just starts laying down the ink, not really following a pattern or trying work his way across the page, but simply to do what he feels at the moment. And this is exactly what he did!

When he was done and held the piece up for show, all I could do was pull my jaw off the floor as I was in AWE!!! Not just from the finished art, but also in how fast and efficient John worked. No white out, no mistakes, just perfection. I will not say how much time passed, but I had blinked, I would have missed it - TRUST ME!!! Jim even suggested that John film himself while he works on one of these commissions so everyone can appreciate and experience what we did. It was truly amazing.

I can only hope I get another chance to watch John in action, especially if it is on one of my newly requested commissions of my favorite hero. 8-)

Best...
- Scott

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jim even suggested that John film himself while he works on one of these commissions so everyone can appreciate and experience what we did. It was truly amazing.

I mentioned wanting to see that very thing in the other commission thread currently active. I wanna see that. Your comments confirm that it is a sight to see.

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

very nice!!!!!!!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

very nice !

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>